For 2020 the PWA merged slalom and foil into one new racing format. This format will remain unchanged in 2021. No matter how light the winds, we are about to witness even more racing and excitement at every event! Gone will be the times when riders are sat on the beach because of cancelled heats. Insufficient wind? Forget it: The PWA wind limit for slalom will be 5 knots! So, exciting action will be guaranteed !
This specialized board was developed for the adapted rules of the PWA slalom discipline. And already in the first event in February 2020, Antoine Albeau won the pro-riders class at the Defi Wind in Japan using this board. But hold on: Stop the press! Antoine set a new World Speed Record for the Nautical Mile back in June! So, the board does not only perform in light winds!
General features of this performance HydroFoil design:
• The key is the new rail shape !
It features sharp rails along the whole hull with no more bevels in the nose – for maximum lift and planing efficiency. These rails push the board up in flight mode after occasional touchdowns. They provide the perfect stance – a connected and stable feel to the board – which is the base to make use of all the power coming from the foil and sail.
• Compact dimensions keep the swing weight low.
• The aerodynamic profile of the short hull reduces drag while airborne.
• Big tail cut-outs allow the rider to sink the tail while pumping and load up the foil, resulting in easy and instant takeoff.
• It comes with the super stable JP Foil-Box which – again was reinforced additionally – to handle all loads.
• The centre foot pad with an arch offers additional grip and guided foot placing during gybing and takeoff.
• This board is equipped with longer, 6 single hole foot strap plugs.
The single hole plugs make moving and adjusting the foot strap position between races quicker. This strap tuning will be essential when swaping foil sizes or fuselages in changing wind conditions.
The longer plugs provide a wider range of adjustment.
• High overall volume of 176 L – especially in the tail – and sharp rails get the riders airborne quickly and easily. They instantly push the board back up on the foil after occasional touchdowns in which they barely slow down.
• Outline and stance are adapted to the high reaching speeds. Compared to the 150 this board is wider in the nose and tail, however, the maximum width is still 91 cm. Accordingly, the tail straps are further outboard. This all helps to control the high foil lift at faster pace on reaches.
This board is based on the successful design of the HydroFoil 150. Consequently, it comes with a rounded outline, in contrast to the squarish look of the 175 from 2019.
Obviously, its shape was adapted to fit the PWA slalom-foil format and the low wind limit as well as today’s big and efficient foils. It will not only be the weapon of choice of the PWA racer but it will also be a stunning light wind board for every sporty foil sailor.
The super-fast slalom foil machine !
Performance, power and control for competition.
Performance and competition design
Aerodynamic profile makes board a light wind wonder
Balance between performance, power and control in foiling
Sharp rails along the whole hull with no bevels in the front create maximum lift and planing efficiency
Centre foot pad offers additional grip and guided foot placing during gybing and takeoff
Foil Approved Fin Box