JP’s performance HydroFoil board for slalom sailing:
For 2020 the PWA merged slalom and foil into one new racing format. No matter how light the winds, we are about to witness even more racing and excitement at every event! Gone will be the times when riders are sat on the beach because of cancelled heats. Insufficient wind? Forget it: The new PWA wind limit for slalom will be 5 knots! So, exciting action will be guaranteed !
For this new slalom discipline, we developed a specialized board and in addition, a dedicated course racing foil board.
General features of this new performance HydroFoil design:
• The key is the new rail shape !
First of all, it features clearly sharper rails along the whole hull with no more bevels in the nose – for maximum lift and planing efficiency.
The sharp rails push the board up in flight mode after occasional touchdowns.
Secondly, it provides the perfect stance, a connected and stable feel to the board: It is the base to make use of all the power coming from the foil and sail.
• Compact dimensions keep the swing weight low.
• The aerodynamic profile of the short hull reduces drag while airborne.
• New, big tail cut-outs allow the rider to sink the tail while pumping and load up the foil, resulting in easy and instant takeoff.
• It comes with the super stable JP Foil Box to handle all loads and an additional centre foot pad with an arch to offer additional grip and guided foot placing during gybing and takeoff.
• This board is equipped with longer, 6 single hole foot strap plugs.
The single hole plugs make moving and adjusting the foot strap position between races quicker. This strap tuning will be essential when swaping foil sizes or fuselages in changing wind conditions.
The longer plugs provide a wider range of adjustment.
This new board is based on the successful design of the HydroFoil 150 – not the 175 as you might expect simply because its purpose is slalom and not course racing.
Consequently, it comes with a rounded outline, in contrast to the squarish look of the 175 from 2019.
Obviously, its shape was adapted to fit the new slalom-foil format and the lower wind limit as well as today’s big and efficient foils. It will not only be the weapon of choice of the PWA racer but it will also be a stunning light wind board for every sporty foil sailor.
• High overall volume of 176 L – especially in the tail – and sharper rails get the riders airborne sooner and easier. They instantly push the board back up on the foil after occasional touchdowns in which they barely slow down.
• Outline and stance are adapted to the higher reaching speeds (now that it is not anymore about pure up and down wind courses). Compared to the 150 this new board is wider in the nose and tail, however, the maximum width is still 91 cm. Accordingly, the tail straps are further outboard. This all helps to control the high foil lift at faster pace on reaches.
The super-fast slalom foil machine !
Performance, power and control for competition!
Performance and competition design
Balance between performance, power and control in foiling
Foil-Tuttlebox: Foil approved fin boxes - specially reinforced for foils with Deep Tuttlebox bases
New footstrap with scale for easy adjustment to the foot size
Parabolic Rail Construction
For the first HydroFoil boards, JP invented the specially reinforced boxes for foils with Deep Tuttlebox bases three years ago:
Now, the Freestyle and Magic Ride PRO also feature a reinforced Foil-Powerbox! (Ø 8mm bolt hole to avoid drilling for the
NP Powerbox foil adapter)